NC man denied breast cancer coverage
Aug 8, 2011
Raymond Johnson of North Carolina is fighting for his life - without proper healthcare, as men are not covered in the medicaid breast and cervical cancer program, The Post and Courier reported.
The 26-year-old was shocked when he found out he had breast cancer. Johnson didn't have health insurance and couldn't afford the costly surgery so he sought out a Medicaid program that covers breast cancer treatment. A few weeks later Johnson received news that he had been denied for the program - because he was a man.
The Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act was a federal law created in 2000 which enables Medicaid funds to pay for treatment for breast or cervical cancer patients who wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise, the news outlet said.
"We are again urging CMS [Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services] to reconsider," the S.C. Department of Health and Human Services told the news outlet. "It's a very clear example of how overly rigid federal regulations don't serve the interests of the people we're supposed to be helping."
As The American Cancer Society estimates that 2,140 new cases of men with breast cancer are diagnosed annually, it seems fit that change should be made to give everyone a chance at beating the illness.